First, baby girl has a name...Lucy Morgan! :)
Well, I have not posted an update in a while, so here it is. :)
I am 28.5(ish) weeks...I still INSIST they have my due date wrong by a week and I would actually be closer to 27.5 weeks, but at this point it really does not matter I suppose (other than her size would not be such a big deal to the high risk doctors). She has consistently measured 7-10 days small. Many times measuring at a June 25th due date which is what I calculated before I ever went to the doctor for the first time. Hmmmmm...
Anyway, at this point she is considered "small" or "limited growth"---problem #1. And my pre-eclampsia is creeping back---problem #2.
I was admitted to the hospital on March 14th with a blood pressure of 172/110. They quickly gave me steriod shots to help Lucy's lungs develop a little more quickly and were set up to transfer me to a better NICU/higher risk doctors and start me on Magnesium sulfate...basically deliver her at 26 (25 to me) weeks and a whopping 1lb 9oz. Scary!!!
That is when I started praying...no, BEGGING and pleading with God. Within 12 hours my blood pressure was lower than it has been in YEARS. YEARS!! At one point it was 103/56 during the night and stayed completely normal for the next week I was in the hospital. Hospital bed rest was doing wonders for me...so much so, that insurance would not pay for me to stay any longer. I guess that is a good problem to have, but at the same time, when they sent me home with Mason I had a major panic attack and went right back to the hospital and had him 3 days later.
This time I have remained calm at home. I am on full time strict bed/couch rest. I get up to shower, eat and potty. That is it. Well, besides the 3-4 doctor appointments each week. I go back every 3 days or so to check my progress and Lucy's progress. So far, she is doing great...small, but all of her parts are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. It is amazing what all they check on the dopplers, but I get to see the blood flowing in her 4 heart chambers, blood flow to the brain, placenta blood flow (and hear each one too). Every body part is checked each visit and usually she has her hand in her mouth...sometimes even her foot! :)
Each time we go she has a growth, but minimum. Last week, I was freaking out about it. Again I sat there and BEGGED God for another miracle. In walked a doctor I have never seen before and he was the most reassuring man I have ever met. She barely gained, but he wasn't worried about it since she showed no signs of distress. He recommended I take a baby aspirin every morning to open up the flow from the placenta (who knew??). We went back yesterday and again, I begged God that her growth would be good...she had gained 7 oz in 7 days. This may be normal for most babies, but was HUGE for my little girl. We are over 2 pounds now. Praise!! My bp was up a little yesterday so they think my pre-eclampsia may be stepping it up a notch. Hoping to buy another 3-4 weeks at least. Oh how I wish to make it past the 30 week mark!!
Anyway, big update, but please pray for these things:
-Continued big growth spurts for Lucy. We know she will need a NICU and I will deliver early. We really hope to buy several more weeks, but pray that no matter when it happens she is big and strong and ready to conquer all those milestones in NICU life.
-My blood pressure/preeclampsia. So far, besides that one day my symptoms are considered "mild". Blood work, protein in urine, etc have not elevated to a level that is of too much concern, however I still have preeclampsia and at some point it will get worse. Just pray that is later rather than sooner.
-That I can make it past 30 weeks. I know to most moms this is CRAZY talk, but to a NICU mamma this is huge. At this point, every day I can stay pregnant buys us about 3-4 days not in NICU. Based on this math, we have accomplished "buying" 6-8 weeks in the past 2 since my bp spiked. Plus the obvious developmental things baby needs inside mommy helps a ton.
-For Mason. Not gonna lie, that is the hardest thing about the whole bedrest thing. I have a 4 year old that is a mommy's boy. He has been AWESOME and we have figured out ways to play in bed with puzzles, and games, and movies, etc. But I can tell it is not super easy for him to transition. He is such a good kid and I just want him to feel safe and secure even with the shuffling we have to do between grandparents and us. WE are SOOOOO fortunate that my parents live next door and my in-laws are 30 minutes away and both will take him at the drop of a hat. And he loves spending time with them. Really, we couldnt have a better support system, but still....it has to affect him.
-For me. I need peace. God is providing that for me when I let him. It's hard when I can't be in control and I need prayers that I can let God just do his thing and not try to intervene. So far, he has worked so many miracles in the past couple of weeks. He has put the right people in my room at the right time and helped me get through the rough patches. :)
-And Brady...juggling work, taking me to all my appointments (thank you God that he has such a great job that will let him), taking care of Mason, cleaning house, fixing meals, etc. He has a lot on his plate and he never complains at all.
Whew...that was long. Will try to update more as we go on another "not normal" journey with baby #2. :)
1 comment:
Debra, I'm so sorry that you're having to repeat this difficult journey with Lucy. But Mason is proof of what God can do. Praying for you ALL during this difficult time. Thanks for the update!
Post a Comment