Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Twenty Pounds and Still Counting...


As some of you know, my dad had 2 heart attacks back in October of last year. One of them almost killed him...well it sort of did, but with the amazing technology he was brought back and is now healthier than he has ever been. Thank God!

Well...as a result of the events, I rushed to the doctor a few days after his bypass surgery. I was feeling weak, light headed, shaky, etc. My blood pressure was through the roof (stroke level) and I was immediately put on medication and had to have several blood tests done. They thought it was mostly due to stress from the previous 6 weeks, but then my tests came back with high cholesterol levels...not due to stress.

My doctor sat me down and gave me the speech that NO ONE wants to hear..."you HAVE TO lose weight". "You have to get a gym membership and you have to start eating differently." "I need you to lose at least 20 pounds." Now if this isn't depressing, I dont know what is. The thing is, I KNEW I needed to lose it, but I guess I just needed my doctor saying it to actually do it.

I joined the gym that night and Weight Watchers 3 weeks later...his suggestion. I am proud to say that today I hit my 20 pound mark with Weight Watchers (24 pounds total with what I lost in Washington DC). I did it! I now crave healthy foods and love working out...WEIRD! Oh, and my cholesterol levels are incredible...my doctor could not belive how they dropped!

Only 5 pounds until I am at my college weight. I can do it!

No comments: