
Well, I went to my doctor yesterday for a follow-up on new lab work...I have to do this every 3 months until it gets straightened out. First of all my blood pressure was 110/65. This is unheard of for me. The lowest it has been in YEARS!!!! Generally it runs 140/85ish on a good day. Also, my cholestorol levels were in the normal range, not even on the "high normal" side, but more middle/low. Some of that is due to medication and some due to eating better. My triglycerides were down a lot, but still higher than they should be. The fear of developing diabetes is down quite a bit!!
It really hit me yesterday that there was real concern by my doctor. Last time he went over the numbers and gave me my assignment of getting those numbers down, BUT he never expressed fear or concern really (other than the borderline diabetes). Yesterday he told me how worried he was and explained coronary artery disease and the risk I was putting on my heart. He told me he was VERY concerned for my heart health. I am sorta glad he didnt say anything until the numbers were more manageable and less scary, but then part of me thinks if he would have, maybe I would have gotten my rear in gear a little faster than 1 week before my follow-up appointment, ya know??
The passed week I have been reading a book that a family friend wrote about his FOUR hearts. He had heart failure and had 2 artificial hearts and then a transplant and is now living life to the fullest. He told his horrific story in detail. Mostly the story is about his faith in God to pull him through it all. It was really intense. But it made an impact on me. Then listening to my doctor yesterday I realized that I too could be headed in that direction if I don't change my life ways...FOREVER.
FOREVER...that is tough to swallow. But, I have to think about not only myself, but my family. I want to be around for them.
Anyway, I am planning on blogging my progress once a week for a while so I can keep track for myself of how things are going. I hope that on September 20th when I go back to the doctor I can walk in 15 pounds lighter, normal triglyceride levels, get off of my cholestorol meds, and lower my blood pressure med dosage. That is the goal I am setting today ---> 06/28/2011.
I am writing down mini-goals and will post those soon. It is silly, but I am making myself a contract and I am going to sign it and carry it around with me. Hopefully it will make me think twice.
FOREVER...that is tough to swallow. But, I have to think about not only myself, but my family. I want to be around for them.
Anyway, I am planning on blogging my progress once a week for a while so I can keep track for myself of how things are going. I hope that on September 20th when I go back to the doctor I can walk in 15 pounds lighter, normal triglyceride levels, get off of my cholestorol meds, and lower my blood pressure med dosage. That is the goal I am setting today ---> 06/28/2011.
I am writing down mini-goals and will post those soon. It is silly, but I am making myself a contract and I am going to sign it and carry it around with me. Hopefully it will make me think twice.
1 comment:
That's great news that you learned at the doctor's office today! I know you'll be able to accomplish all your goals. I've been starting a diet myself lately. I hope you don't add that I've began to follow you! It would be nice to have a diet/health friend! My name is Jessica. :)
Post a Comment